Monday, July 16, 2012

New TV Stand

Okay, so I have loved interior design since I was little, not that I knew it was called that back than, and I love all the projects I see on Pinterest. So I decided that I was sick of the glass desk we were using for a TV stand down stairs and that it was time for a change. So I brought my dresser in my room down to the porch and started sanding. I was silly and forgot to take a before picture, but I have a picture of one of the drawers I didn't redo so that will have to count for something.

So there it is--in all its glory! It is from the 1950's or '60's. It was probably once a nice off-white color, but had turned an aged yellow, but not in the cute vintage way. The handle was a discolored brass that scared me.


Silver spray paint wins again! I want to get some nice crystal knobs, but I am being picky so I sprayed them and they look much better now.


I picked a color called "Teal Lake" from Walmart because everything else was closed when I decided to randomly start this project. I choose teal because I wanted to brighten up my living room. It has a big window in it, but we always leave it covered cause we don't really want all the neighbors watching me dance Zumba.


Oh la la, here are the drawers. I painted the grooves in them black (which was kind of pain, but I love that it worked out). I am pretty sure that they look 105% better than they did before, and the spray painted knobs as well. 

Okay, so it is starting to look better. Now you might ask where the middle set of drawers are. Good question! The right side was broken so I came up with this great idea to turn them into shelves and put baskets there (than I could put all of Justin's Xbox remotes somewhere so I don't trip on them). So I broke the left side and went down to Lowes and bought some plywood and I had them cut it for me. I came home nailed it and there you have it! 


And I finished it! Now in this picture, with the light shining on it it looks more sky blue, but I swear it is teal. I went and found the baskets at Target and made sure to vacuum out any cobwebs (eek spiders). My living room feels brighter and bigger now. Overall I spent about $60 on everything and had a fun time doing it (the baskets are what ate my budget)! Now I just need to start on my coffee table and re-do my pillows to match! Alas, I am now on the hunt for a new dresser for my bedroom that I can redo! Time to find some good yard sales! 





No comments: